Jun 01, 2023
Requirements for the Major in Neuroscience
- Neuroscience majors are required to take the following basic science courses.
- BIOL 040 PO and BIOL 041C PO
- CHEM 001A PO , CHEM 001B PO or CHEM 051 PO
- MATH 030 PO or MATH 031 PO , or completion of AP Calculus AB or BC with a score of 4 or 5, or IB Calculus with a score of 6 or 7.
- MATH 058 PO or MATH 058B PO or an equivalent statistics course in another department at the Claremont Colleges. Students with AP Statistics and scores of 4 or 5 are advised to take MATH 150 PO .
- PSYC 051 PO
- Majors are required to take (usually in the sophomore year):
- NEUR101A PO - Introduction to Neuroscience with Laboratory .
- NEUR101B PO - The Human Brain with Laboratory .
- Majors must select two additional science courses in consultation with a faculty advisor in the Neuroscience Department, from the following natural science departments: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics, and Psychological Science.
- Majors must take two core lab courses from each of the following two areas of neuroscience
- NEUR168 PO - Genes and Behavior with Laboratory
- NEUR178 PO - Neurobiology with Laboratory
- NEUR102 PO - Neuroethology: Mechanisms of Behavior with Laboratory
- NEUR130 PO - Vertebrate Sensory Systems with Laboratory
- Majors must select one additional course from the following list of neuroscience electives. (Neuroscience core courses can also be used to satisfy the neuroscience elective requirement. Neuroscience courses at the Claremont Colleges and Study Abroad programs may be substituted with approval of a neuroscience advisor.)
- BIOL039L KS - Analyses of Human Motor Skills
- BIOL133L KS - Intro to Computational Neuroscience
- BIOL161 KS - Neuroendocrinology
- CSCI152 HM - Neural Networks
- NEUR103 PO - Neuropharmacology
- NEUR123 PO - The Stressed Brain
- PSYC 140 PO - The Social Brain
- PSYC180W PO - Seminar in Biological Basis of Psychopathology
- PSYC189A PO - Seminar in Clinical Neuropsychology
- PSYC189F PO - fMRI Explorations Into Cognition
- Majors are required to complete the following senior activities.
- NEUR 190 PO - Senior seminar in the fall of their senior year
- NEUR 191 PO (a one-semester library thesis), or NEUR 192 PO (a project-based thesis) or NEUR 194A PO - NEUR 194B PO (a two-semester experimental thesis taken in both semesters).
All courses counting toward the major must be taken for a letter grade. With prior approval from the department chair, students may receive credit toward their major for coursework completed at neighboring Claremont Colleges. Students planning on attending graduate school in neuroscience should consult with an advisor in neuroscience regarding course selection. In consultation with a neuroscience faculty member at Pomona, neuroscience majors can choose a curriculum at several study abroad programs, such as University College Dublin, University College London, Danish Institute for Study Abroad, and University of Melbourne that may count toward major requirements. Please refer to the Study Abroad Website for the program descriptions and information on eligibility.