Requirements for the Gender & Women’s Studies Major with Disciplinary Tracks
*Students cannot complete the GWS Major and a second major in one of the areas in which GWS offers a disciplinary focus except in extremely rare cases, by petition and with approval from GWS and the second department.
- Four core gender & women’s studies courses: GWS 026 PO or FGSS 036 SC ; RLST 181 PO or equivalent as approved by coordinator; GWS 190 PO ; GWS 191 PO .
- One course in feminist theory, to be chosen from GWS 180 PO ; ARHI 186L PO ; or another course approved by the GWS coordinator.
- Three electives in GWS including one course cross-listed with GWS and a department of disciplinary focus and one course cross-listed with one of the ethnic studies programs.
- The following courses in the department or program of the disciplinary track:
- Anthropology (ANTH). ANTH 002 PO , ANTH 105 PO , ANTH 153 PO , and 3 electives in ANTH (from anywhere in the consortium) determined in consultation with Anthropology advisor.
- Asian Studies (ASIA). Student selects an area or region emphasis and eight courses as follows: four courses, three of which are in the selected geographical area (country or region) and an additional course outside the selected geographical area; two courses in Asian studies within the disciplinary focus of GWS (ANTH 088 PZ , CHNT 168 PO , HIST 101V PO or JPNT 177 PO ); two semesters of study of Chinese, Japanese or Korean for students emphasizing East Asia, China, Japan or Korea. Students emphasizing India, or Southeast or South Asia, who do not take one of these languages, can take two elective courses in Asian studies that will substitute for the language requirement.
- Art History (ARHI). ARHI 001A PO , one studio art course; and three 100-level courses, one of which must be a seminar.
- Economics (ECON). ECON 051 PO , ECON 052 PO , ECON 057 PO , ECON 101 PO , ECON 102 PO and two electives, at least one of which must have an intermediate theory course as a prerequisite.
- English (ENGL). Emphasis on Literature: ENGL 067 PO ; two courses in the periods before 1900; one Advanced Studies Seminar (ENGL 170-series); and two additional courses. Emphasis on Writing: ENGL 067 PO , an Advanced Creative Writing Seminar (ENGL 183-series); two courses in the periods before 1900; one Advanced Studies Seminar (ENGL 170-series); and one additional course.
- French (FREN). FREN 044 PO (or equivalent placement) and seven courses numbered FREN 101 PO or higher, of which one focuses on pre-19th-century literature or culture.
- History (HIST). One European history course; one other Western Hemisphere course; one course on Africa; one course on Asia; a course in the HIST 100 series; and two electives.
- Media studies (MS). MS 049 PO or MS 050 PO or MS 051 PO ; one course from the MS 147-149 PO series; one production course (digital, video or film); four additional courses in media studies.
- Politics (POLI). Three core courses chosen from the four sub-fields of the major (American politics, international politics, comparative politics, political theory); three electives, two of which must be intermediate (10-99) or advanced (100-190); and one senior seminar.
- Psychology (PSYC). PSYC 051 PO , PSYC 157 PO , PSYC 158 PO , PSYC 160 PO or PSYC 162 PO ; one elective; and one advanced seminar from PSYC 180A PO , PSYC 180B PO , or PSYC 180H PO .
- Religious studies (RLST). Seven courses, in consultation with the chair of the department.
- Science, technology and society (STS). Two courses from the sequence History of Science STS 080 PO , STS 081 PZ and HIST 082 HM (offered by PO, HM, PZ); STS 010 HM ; STS 190 PO ; and three courses in mathematics, science and/or engineering (including experimental and physiological psychology). These courses must be in one department and count toward the major in that department, or be necessary prerequisites to courses that count toward a major in that department. In the Mathematics Department, these courses must include MATH 032 PO or MATH 060 PO .
- Sociology (SOC). SOC 051 PO , SOC 102 PO , SOC 104 PO , SOC 154 PO , SOC 157 PO and three sociology electives.
- Theatre (THEA). A THEA 001-series course or THEA 002 PO ; THEA 188 PO or THEA 199DRPO ; THEA 052C PO or THEA 052H PO .