All courses in the major taken after the first year must be for a letter grade with the exception of PPA 195 PO or any course in a concentration designated Pass/No Credit.
Requirements for the Major in Public Policy Analysis
- Four-course public policy sequence: ECON 051 PO , ECON 052 PO ; POLI 003 PO or PPA 001 PO ; POLI 135 PO .
- Statistical/Quantitative Methods course: ECON 057 PO or POLI 090 PO unless otherwise noted below:
- Policy Elective: Students are invited to suggest policy-oriented courses at the Claremont Colleges to fulfill this requirement, which must be approved by the PPA program coordinator. To be approved, the course must be beyond the introductory level and should focus primarily on public policy. This can include courses focused on a substantive policy area, such as housing or health, the development of tools for analyzing public policy or some combination of these. Students may consult with the program’s associate director. A policy elective is not required for EA/PPA or STS/PPA. Regularly offered courses which are approved are: ANTH 107 PO , ECON 122 PO , ECON 123 PO , ECON 125 PO , ECON 127 PO , ECON 128 PO , PPA 079 PO , PHYS 017 PO , POLI 136 PO , POLI 147 PO , POLI 149 PO , GOVT 105 CM .
- Courses in an existing major:
ANTH 002 PO , ANTH 102 PO and ANTH 105 PO ; two of the following: ANTH 003 PZ , ANTH 052 PO , ANTH 053 PO , ANTH 086 PZ , ANTH 107 PO , ANTH 153 PO ; and one elective. Courses are chosen in consultation with student’s academic advisor for relevance to the internship and direction of study.
CHEM 001A PO and CHEM 001B PO or CHEM 051 PO ; BIOL 040 PO , BIOL 041E PO or BIOL 041C PO ; any three upper-division biology courses subject to approval by the biology advisor.
CHEM 001A PO and CHEM 001B PO or CHEM 051 PO , CHEM 110A PO , CHEM 110B PO , CHEM 156 PO ; PHYS 070 PO , PHYS 071 PO , PHYS 072 PO , or PHYS 041 PO , PHYS 042 PO .
ECON 101 PO , ECON 102 PO , ECON 107 PO , three electives.
- Environmental Analysis:
- Four course general public policy sequence: one of POLI 003 PO or PPA 001 PO ; ECON 051 PO , ECON 052 PO ; POLI 135 PO
- EA 010 PO , EA 030 PO
- Statistical/Quantitative methods course: ECON 057 PO or POLI 090 PO
- One ecology course such as BIOL 176 KS , BIOL 041E PO , BIOL 104 PO , EA 085 PO or EA 173 PO
- Four environmental policy courses: two courses from GOVT 120 CM , POST 140 HM , POLI 060 PO , POLI 061 PO , POLI 136 PO , PPE 160 PO , EA 146 PZ , SOC 055 PO ; two courses from ECON 125 PO , ECON 127 PO , ECON 128 PO
- One course from the following: EA 085 PO ; PHIL 037 PO ; PHIL 038 PO ; RLST 166A PO or similar
- Senior Thesis/Capstone: PPA 190 PO (seminar), PPA 191 PO (thesis), PPA 195 PO (internship)
- One introductory geology course from GEOL 015 PO , GEOL 020A PO , GEOL 020B PO , GEOL 020C PO , GEOL 020D PO , GEOL 020G PO , EA 055L KS , EA 100 KS
- Three courses from: GEOL 121 PO , GEOL 125 PO , GEOL 127 PO , GEOL 129 PO , GEOL 131 PO
- One course from: GEOL 181 PO , GEOL 183 PO , GEOL 185 PO
- One additional Geology course numbered 100 or above
PHYS 070 PO , PHYS 071 PO , PHYS 072 PO , or PHYS 041 PO ; PHYS 042 PO ; PHYS 190 PO ; PHYS 101 PO ; plus one additional course credit from physics or astronomy courses numbered above 100. Students may petition to count a complementary lab science course if appropriate in place of the additional physics course.
Six POLI courses distributed across at least three of the four subfields, chosen in consultation with a Politics advisor. No more than two introductory courses numbered 001 to 010 will count toward the major. At least one elective must be numbered 100 or above.
PSYC 051 PO , PSYC 143 PO or PSYC 160 PO or PSYC 162 PO ; PSYC 157 PO ; three electives chosen in consultation with Psychology and PPA advisors for relevance to the internship.
SOC 051 PO , SOC 102 PO , SOC 154 PO , SOC 157 PO and three electives.
- Science, Technology and Society:
See the Science, Technology and Society section in this catalog.
This information is subject to change by departmental or major committees.
- Three-course internship-thesis sequence: PPA 190 PO , PPA 191 PO , PPA 195 PO .