2017-18 Pomona College Catalog 
    Jul 16, 2018  
2017-18 Pomona College Catalog

Japanese Major

Japanese Major Requirements

Study abroad. All majors are required to participate in a study-abroad program endorsed by this department. Japanese majors must attend the International Christian University program in Tokyo or the Associated Kyoto program at Doshisha University in Kyoto. If a student is unable to attend an existing Pomona-endorsed program, participation in certain other programs may be permitted upon consultation with the faculty and approval by the Study Abroad Committee.

Courses. All courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade.

Oldenborg. All majors are encouraged to reside in Oldenborg Center for at least one year.

  1. Eight upper-division courses, including the following:
    1. JAPN 111A PO  and JAPN 111B PO  
    2. Two 120-level Japanese language (JAPN) courses
    3. Four courses chosen from among JAPN 125 PO , JAPN 131 PO , the 170-level Japanese literature in English (JPNT) courses and courses with a substantial Japan component taught in departments other than Asian Languages and Literatures (ALL). Of these four, at least one must be either JAPN 131 PO  or a 170-level JPNT course with a pre-modern focus, and at least one must be either JAPN 125 PO  or a 170-level JPNT course with a modern focus. At least three of the four classes must be 170-level JPNT courses or a course with a substantial Japan component from outside ALL (in other words, either JAPN 125 PO  or JAPN 131 PO  may be counted toward the four courses, but not both). JAPN 125 PO  may only be counted toward the four courses if it is not also being counted as one of the two 120-level Japanese language courses. No more than one course may be from outside ALL; for a list of approved courses from ALL or to request approval for a particular course, please see the Japanese Coordinator.
  2. Japanese Senior Project Proposals , guided research on selected topics in the final year, either (a) a one-semester Senior Research Paper (JAPN 192 PO ) or (b) a two-semester Senior Thesis (JAPN 191H PO  each semester).