Pomona has 64 buildings of its own and shares 18 other buildings that the Claremont University Consortium operates for The Claremont Colleges. Pomona’s campus covers 140 acres, 100 of which are included in the campus proper and 40 in Blanchard Park, a gift of Nathan W. Blanchard.
The center of the campus is Marston Quadrangle, endowed by George W. Marston, an original trustee of Pomona and for many years chairman of the board of trustees.
Other specially landscaped areas are Memorial Court, honoring former members of the College, and Stover Memorial Walk, east of College Avenue, dedicated on Alumni Day 1958 to honor the memory of Clarence T. Stover ’21, a trustee and chair of the Buildings and Grounds Committee. Draper Walk and Plaza, which includes the In the Spirit of Excellence sculpture by Norman P. Hines ’61, extends from Stover Walk to Mills Avenue. It is a gift of Ranney E. Draper ’60 in honor of his father, Ranney C. Draper ’25. The Rainbow Fountain in Memorial Court is dedicated to the memory of Theodore E. Norton ’24 by his parents, Edwin C. Norton, dean of the College from 1888 to 1926, and his wife, Frances Rice Norton.
The Carolyn Bartel Lyon Garden, dedicated in 1970, is named in honor of Mrs. E. Wilson Lyon, wife of the sixth president of Pomona College. The decorative fountain in the garden is the gift of Mrs. Victor Montgomery; the statuary, Joie de Vie, is the work of sculptor Robert I. Russin.
The College gates on Sixth Street, designed in 1914, are the gift of William S. Mason; the inscriptions were written by James A. Blaisdell, Pomona’s fourth president.
The Smith Memorial Tower, completed in 1961, honors the memory of its donors, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Smith.
The Bosbyshell Fountain in the main courtyard of the north campus commemorates the gift to the College of a deep-well independent water supply by Edward P. and Mary G. Bosbyshell. The area around the fountain was renovated in 1994 and renamed Bixby Plaza in honor of donor Llewellyn Bixby Jr., ’30.
The Stanley Academic Quad
The Peter W. Stanley Academic Quad is bordered by Crookshank Hall, Mason Hall and Pearsons Hall.
Crookshank Hall, the gift of David C. Crookshank in 1922, originally served as the zoology and botany building. It now houses the English and classics departments and the Ena H. Thompson Reading Room. Crookshank was renovated in 2004.
Mason Hall, the gift of William S. Mason, served as the chemistry building from 1923 to 1965, when it was reconstructed as a classroom, office and laboratory building for psychology and various language programs. A complete renovation was recently finished, providing classroom and office space for the departments of Asian languages and literatures, German and Russian, romance languages and literatures and history. Mason is also the home of the new foreign language resource center partially funded by a grant from the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.
Pearsons Hall, the gift of Dr. D.K. Pearsons in 1898 and for many years the home of the physics and mathematics departments, is the College’s oldest academic building. Renovated in 1934, 1958 and 1975, it underwent a complete renovation in 2002 to provide classroom and office space for history, philosophy and religious studies.
The academic quad was formally named in honor of Stanley, president of the College from 1991 to 2003, in a May 2008 ceremony. It was preceded by a redesign of the quad that included new landscaping and the addition of outdoor teaching and social spaces.
Just south of the Academic Quad is the College’s signature building, The Andrew Carnegie Building. A gift of Mr. Carnegie, the building served as the College library from 1908 until 1952, when it was reconstructed for use as a classroom and office building for the social sciences. In 1998, it was enlarged and renovated to better accommodate programs in economics, politics and public policy analysis.
David Alexander Hall for Administration, first occupied in fall 1991, honors Pomona’s seventh president, who served from 1969 until 1991. An administration building was one of the goals of the Centennial Campaign, with contributions coming from the Weingart Foundation and others. Alexander Hall’s exterior design, scale and footprint conform to those of Holmes Hall, which occupied the site from 1893 to 1990.
Mary L. Sumner Hall, a hotel that in 1889 became the original building of the College in Claremont, was named in 1893 in honor of the wife of Charles Burt Sumner. In 1922, the building was moved to its present site. Remodeled several times, most recently in 2003, it houses the offices of admissions, study abroad, mail services, community and multicultural programs and campus life.
The Seaver House is a Classic Revival mansion built in the city of Pomona in 1900 by Carlton Seaver, a prominent banker and citrus grower. A gift to the College from the Seaver family, the house was moved to the campus in 1979 and completely restored. Standing on the site of The Claremont Inn, it contains the Alumni Relations Office and other Advancement offices, along with meeting and reception facilities.
Rembrandt Hall, completed in the spring of 1914 and enlarged in 1936, is the original art building of the College. It is devoted primarily to studio space.
The fine art collections of Pomona College are housed in the Pomona College Museum of Art located in the Montgomery Art Center, dedicated in 1958 and named for the late Gladys K. Montgomery, Pomona trustee and Los Angeles civic leader. The building was renovated in 2006. Among important holdings are the Kress Collection of 14th–16th century Italian panel paintings; over 5,000 examples of Pre-Columbian to 20th-century American Indian art and artifacts, including basketry, ceramics and beadwork; and a large collection of American and European drawings, photographs and prints, including first editions of all four of Francisco de Goya’s etching series and preparatory drawings for two major murals in Frary Hall— Prometheus (1930) by José Clemente Orozco and Genesis (1950) by Rico Lebrun. In addition to serving as the basis for exhibitions, the collections, which are always available for individual study and research, are frequently used for classes. Images of and information about the collections are also accessible online at the Museum’s Website at www.pomona.edu/museum.
The Pomona College Museum of Art displays selections from the permanent collection on an ongoing basis and is also the site of an active program of temporary exhibitions throughout the academic year. These include historical and contemporary shows designed to complement the College’s curricula and to expose students to a variety of works of art, including that by faculty and students. All exhibitions open with public receptions and include lectures and related programs for the College community.
Information Technology Services
Pomona College offers a wide range of computing, information technologies and related services to support its teaching, learning, research and outreach activities. The Information Technology Services (ITS) department provides campus-wide services, systems and networks for students, faculty and staff. Some academic departments also provide specialized teaching and research resources. Although most Pomona students have their own computers, they also have access to general-purpose computing labs distributed across campus with varying hours of operation, some open 24 hours. A variety of printing, graphics, scanning and other media are available in the multimedia lab in the J.C. Cowart Information Technology Building, completed in 2006 and named for the family of Jim C. Cowart ’73.
Campus-wide email services are supported for all students. Email is accessible through the campus network using any Internet Web browser. Data and file sharing and print services are available directly from the campus or users may use Web-based protocols to manage their files.
A variety of general-purpose and class-related software is available from anywhere on the campus network. Microsoft Office products have been licensed campus-wide. This site license covers students and their personal machines, thus students do not need to purchase upgrades to their Microsoft Office products while they are enrolled. For more information on current license terms, please contact the ITS office.
Virtually all campus buildings are connected via a fiber-optic cable backbone that has a high-speed connection to the Internet. Wireless networks managed by ITS also are available from most locations on campus. All of the fiber-connected buildings support gigabit Ethernet to each desktop or dorm room. All residence hall rooms are networked, but students must provide their own computer and purchase a network card and cable to use the network from their rooms.
Pomona’s newest academic buildings, the interlocking Lincoln and Edmunds buildings, were made possible by the largest single gift that the College has ever received from a living donor. Lillian Lincoln Howell ’43 named the Lincoln Building to honor her family, including her father, John C. Lincoln, and her son, Lincoln C. Howell, and the Edmunds Building to honor Charles K. Edmunds, the Colleges’s fifth president.
The Lincoln and Edmunds buildings have received gold certification under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards. Connected by a second-story walkway, the new buildings are designed to create stronger ties between academic disciplines. The departments of psychology and linguistics and cognitive science occupy space in both buildings. Edmunds also houses the departments of computer science and geology, as well as the Environmental Analysis Program. Lincoln is home to Neuroscience and three intercollegiate departments—Africana studies, Asian American studies and Chicano/a-Latino/a studies.
The two new buildings provide innovative research space and teaching facilities. The clustering of disciplines related to the science of the mind—computer science, psychology, neuroscience and linguistics and cognitive science—is intended to create synergies and facilitate collaboration. Departments also benefit from new equipment and technologies and from lounge spaces designed to foster a sense of community among students.
The buildings’ Draper Courtyard is home to a “Skyspace” and landscape setting designed by internationally renowned artist James Turrell ’65, who works in the perceptual effects of light and space. His Skyspaces—meditative chambers open to the sky—are precisely designed architectural installations intended to heighten the viewer’s awareness of perceptual boundaries and the interplay of light and sky. Within the open courtyard, a floating metal canopy shades the seating area and provides a frame for the sky. During the transition from twilight to night, lighting elements, programmed to change in intensity and hue as they wash the underside of the canopy, create the changing perception of sky as space, form, object and void.
Music, Theatre and Dance
Mabel Shaw Bridges Hall of Music, given in 1915 by Mr. and Mrs. Appleton S. Bridges of San Diego in memory of their daughter, a member of the Class of 1908, has historically been the center of musical activities at the College. Through a gift of the Bertha Lebus Trust, the south wings of the building were renovated in 1972 and dedicated as Bertha Lebus Court. Further renovations were completed in 2001.
Mabel Shaw Bridges Auditorium, also given by the Bridges in memory of their daughter, was completed in 1931 as a consortial facility located on the Pomona College campus but belonging to and serving all of The Claremont Colleges. Seating 2,500, the facility was administered by Claremont University Consortium for many years as a site for major convocations and graduation exercises, as well as concerts, lectures and dance performances. In 2007, ownership of the auditorium passed to Pomona College.
The Thatcher Music Building, named in honor of Madge Rice Thatcher and Harry S. Thatcher, was dedicated in 1970. The building includes offices and studios for the Music Department, Bryant Hall for orchestra and band, the Victor Montgomery Music Library, the Electronic Music Studio, listening rooms and KSPC, the college FM-radio station. An auditorium, Ralph H. Lyman Hall, honors the memory of a professor who was chairman of the Music Department and director of Pomona’s Glee Clubs and Choir from 1917 to 1948.
Pomona’s music buildings contain outstanding pipe organs. Bridges Hall of Music houses a three-manual organ built by C.B. Fisk, a gift of Carrie Hill, John J. Hill ’22 and Eugene H. Hill ’26. Thatcher has a two-manual Moeller practice organ; a three-manual Von Beckerath organ, given as a memorial by members of the Fred W. Smith family; and a 10-rank Flentrop tracker-action practice organ, the gift of Ross McCollum.
The Byron Dick Seaver Theatre houses a 350-seat auditorium, the 100-seat Virginia Princehouse Allen performance space, studios, set and costume shops, classrooms and faculty offices. Dedicated in 1990, the building is a gift from Richard C. Seaver ’43 in memory of his father, who graduated from Pomona College in 1908.
The Greek Theatre, located in Blanchard Park, was built in 1910. Renovated in 1996-97, it was renamed the Sontag Greek Theatre and dedicated in 1997 to honor Frederick Sontag, professor of philosophy.
The Gladys Shepard Pendleton Dance Studio, named in honor of Mrs. Morris B. Pendleton ’22, is located south of Mudd Hall. This facility includes two fully-equipped dance studios (one a studio theatre), dressing rooms, a classroom/rehearsal studio and offices for the dance faculty.
Physical Education and Athletics
Pomona’s physical education and athletic facilities include the Robert L. Strehle Track, the Pauley Tennis Complex with 10 tennis courts, two competition soccer fields and a tennis track-soccer office building.
Dedicated in 1989, the Liliore Green Rains Center for Sport and Recreation includes the Voelkel Gymnasium (three basketball courts), sessions squash and racquetball courts, locker rooms, a training and rehabilitation room, faculty offices, fitness center, cardiovascular exercise room, the MacLeod multipurpose room and the renovated Memorial Gymnasium (basketball, volleyball and badminton). The Haldeman Aquatics Center features a 50-meter competition swimming pool and water polo venue. Extensive renovations of the Earl J. Merritt Football Field and the baseball field were completed in 1991.
South of E. Wilson Lyon Court is the Gladys S. Pendleton swimming pool, named in honor of Gladys S. Pendleton ’22, an enthusiastic supporter of physical education activities. To the west of the pool is the women’s softball field, renovated in 1999. Nearby are four tennis courts constructed in 1965 through the gift of Carlton M. Rogers ’37 in honor of his mother, Isabel E. Rogers, for whom the courts are named.
Residence and Dining Halls
The College believes that a student’s experience is greatly enhanced by living and dining on campus. The residence and dining halls that form the essence of campus living are described below.
Two new North Campus residence halls, the first to be built at Pomona in 20 years, opened in summer 2011. The green-friendly residence halls house 150 students in 3- to 6- bedroom suite-style apartments with shared bathrooms, living rooms and kitchenettes. Each floor also has a full kitchen and family-style lounge. Sontag Hall, which was made possible by a lead gift from Rick HMC ’64 and Susan ’64 Sontag, has a rooftop community garden, while Pomona Hall houses the Outdoor Education Center, Green Bikes Office and rooftop educational exhibit about the building’s energy-saving features.
Smiley Hall, built in the summer of 1908 as the first residence hall for men, honors Albert K. Smiley, an early Pomona trustee. The hall, which is now coeducational, was renovated in 2006.
Harwood Court, completed and dedicated in 1921, remodeled in 1974 and again in 1992, is named in memory of Catherine Henry Harwood, the wife of a longtime trustee. The east wing of the building, called Strong Hall, was the gift of Schuyler W. Strong.
The Eli P. Clark unit, erected in 1929, includes three residence halls—Clark I, III and V—and is a memorial to its donor, a former vice president of the Board of Trustees. Clark I was renovated in two phases during the summers of 2002 and 2003.
Lucien H. Frary Refectory, later called Frary Dining Hall, was given to the College by George W. Marston in memory of the Rev. Lucien H. Frary, a trustee from 1892 to 1903. Completed in 1929, it was renovated in 2003. Frary seats 440 in the main hall and includes two smaller dining rooms for special uses. Two important murals—the 1930 fresco “Prometheus,” by José Clemente Orozco, and “Genesis,” painted in 1960 by Rico Lebrun—are part of Frary.
Florence Carrier Blaisdell Hall, ready for occupancy in 1936, was named in honor of the wife of Pomona’s fourth president, James A. Blaisdell, who served from 1910 to 1928. Della Mulock Mudd Hall, which honors the wife of Seeley W. Mudd, Pomona trustee from 1914 to 1926, was completed and dedicated in 1947. Renovation of the Mudd-Blaisdell unit was completed in September 2001.
Jesse Edith Gibson Hall, built in 1949, honors the late Jessie E. Gibson, former dean of women from 1927 to 1949. Originally the dining hall for Mudd-Blaisdell halls, it was converted to residential living space for fall 2005.
Helen R. Walker Hall, the bequest of Walker, opened in 1953. Fully renovated in 1999, Walker includes a lounge and reception room for the entire north campus and houses the Women’s Union.
Edwin C. Norton Hall, dedicated in 1957 and named in memory of the College’s first faculty member and first dean from 1888 to 1926, adjoins the Clark unit.
Anna May Wig Hall, named in memory of his wife by R.J. Wig, president of the Board of Trustees from 1948 to 1961, opened in 1959.
Oldenborg Center for Modern Languages and International Relations, developed by Deans J. Edward Sanders, Shelton L. Beatty and Jean B. Walton and a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Diederick C. Oldenborg, opened in 1966 and was renovated in 1998. Housing students from all academic fields and open to qualified sophomores, juniors and seniors, the residence hall is arranged in language living areas that give residents the opportunity to practice a foreign language on a daily basis. The center also sponsors many intercultural and international relations activities each year for the campus.
Lawry Court, which opened in 1980 and was renovated in 2002 and 2004, consists of three modular living sections. Adjacent is the Jean B. Walton Commons, named for the emerita dean of women and vice president for student affairs, containing meeting rooms, lounge, kitchen and laundry facilities.
The dining center on the south campus is the Richard N. and Mary Alice Frank Hall. Constructed in 1982 with a gift from Richard N. Frank ’46 and his wife, Mary Alice Bentley Frank ’47, the facility seats 288 in the main hall and includes three smaller dining rooms for special uses.
E. Wilson Lyon Court, opened in 1990, is named in honor of Pomona’s sixth president and completes the south side of Harwood Court.
The Seaver Science Center comprises four laboratories. Three buildings and their original equipment were given and endowed by Frank R. Seaver class of 1905, a Pomona trustee from 1947 to 1964, and one by his estate.
The Robert Andrews Millikan Laboratory for Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy was dedicated in 1958 in memory of Seaver’s friend, Robert Andrews Millikan. Its equipment provides facilities for electron scattering, cryogenics, high-Tc superconductivity, optical and scanned-probe microscopy, photolithography, ellipsometry, spectral reflectance, field emission scanning electron microscopy, electron beam lithography, energy-dispersive x-ray analysis, atomic and molecular spectroscopy, nonlinear optics and holography, as well as a thin-film evaporator and a dedicated system for growing carbon nanotubes. Facilities also include professionally staffed machine and electronics shops. Access to an x-ray diffractometer is available in cooperation with the Geology Department
Instruction began in the Seaver Laboratory for Biology and Geology—also known as Seaver South—in the fall of 1959. Geology moved to the new Edmunds Building in January 2007. An extensive renovation of Seaver South was completed in 2009, with the addition of new research facilities, laboratories and classroom space, as well as academic office space.
The Seaver Laboratory for Chemistry, completed in 1964 and extensively renovated in 2001, has a number of unusual features and facilities, including professionally staffed machine and electronic shops and computational facilities with site licenses for comprehensive structural databases and molecular modeling computational software packages. Special instrumentation includes computer-interfaced Fourier-transform infrared and ultraviolet spectrophotometers, YAG and nitrogen laser pumped dye lasers, gas chromatographs, high pressure liquid chromatographs, an eclipse fluorimeter, a gc-mass spectrometer, inductively coupled plasma spectrometer and a 400-MHz nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer. The Seaver Auditorium housed in what is familiarly known as Seaver North is equipped with computer and video projection along with high quality sound equipment.
The newest addition to the Seaver complex is the Richard C. Seaver Biology Building, which opened in January 2005. Made possible by a gift from the Seaver estate, it was named in honor of Richard C. Seaver ’43, to recognize his many decades of exceptional service to the College as a trustee and honorary trustee. The structure was designed to reflect an institutional commitment to energy conservation and environmental sustainability, while providing state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities. The building contains faculty research labs, teaching labs and classrooms, as well as greenhouses, cold rooms, a warm room, dark rooms, a digital microscope facility and a confocal microscope. The building has been awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council.
The Edward and Edith Andrew Science Building was completed in January 2000. The building contains technologically advanced classrooms and laboratories for astronomy, mathematics and physics.
The College has three major stellar telescopes that provide students with powerful tools for in-class and research projects in observational astronomy. A 1-m Cassegrain reflector is located at Table Mountain Observatory at a 7,500-foot altitude in the San Gabriel Mountains. The Frank P. Brackett Observatory, which officially opened on campus in 1908, named for Pomona’s first professor of astronomy, is equipped with two computer- controlled 14-inch telescopes and a variety of portable and solar telescopes. All three major telescopes are of professional quality and are equipped with research-grade instrumentation. This instrumentation includes a variety of CCD imaging cameras, a prism spectrograph, a polarimeter, and an infrared camera.
Smith Campus Center
Edmunds Union, familiarly known as “The Coop,” was named for the fifth president of the College and his wife. Made possible by the gifts of many parents, funds from the Associated Students and the bequest of Florence Riley, Edmunds Union was built in 1937 to provide a center for student activities. An additional wing was completed in 1951 as a gift of the Associated Students, and the building was extensively remodeled in 1970 as a joint enterprise of the College and the Associated Students.
During the summer of 1997, the old building was razed, with the exception of Edmunds Ballroom, to make room for the construction of a new, three-level facility on the same site. Named for H. Russell Smith ’36 and Jeanne Smith, the Smith Campus Center was dedicated in September 1999 and housed a wide range of services, offices, social rooms and work spaces. The main level was designed to be the heart of the center, housing the Coop Store; two food services (the Kinsmith Fountain and the Sagehen Café); a mailroom that brings together all student mailboxes; an automated teller machine; the Gilbert Fireplace Lounge; four reservable meeting rooms; and the original Edmunds Ballroom, completely renovated and air-conditioned. The lower level housed the 200-seat, sloped floor Rose Hills Theatre and the Campus Center Doms Social Room. The upper levels include three spacious meeting rooms—including the Hart Room, the Hodel Room and the Weingartner Room—as well as the Winslow Recreation Room. The building also housed offices for the Career Development Center, Graduate Fellowships Offices, Draper Center for Community Partnerships, Teaching/Learning Center, Asian American Resource Center, ASPC and student organizations, ASPC Business Office, Cultural Center and Campus Center administration.
Since opening, the Campus Center has become a focal point of activities and programming on and off campus. From world-renown speakers to major bands, the Campus Center sponsors a wide-ranging series of events to broaden the cocurricular offerings of the College. A weekly Saturday night, substance-free series program was added to the calendar. The Campus Center also runs the Sagecoach, a 25-passenger bus, delivering students, faculty and staff to Los Angeles-based events and field trips.
A much anticipated completion and renovation of Smith Campus Center, finished during the 2006-07 academic year, made the lower level available as campus center space and improved existing services. The addition of offices, interview rooms and a new social space, the Doms Lounge, along with the remodeling of the original Doms Social Room, completed the construction process. In addition, the Kinsmith Coop Fountain was expanded to include recreation facilities, and a campus living room was created from the first floor meeting rooms. The College’s new writing Writing Center and two new meeting rooms took the place of the former recreation room. An exhibit gallery was created in the space vacated by the mail room when mail services was moved to the living room. In recognition of the new buildings (Lincoln and Edmunds) constructed to the north of the Campus Center, the north patio was reconfigured, making it more open and welcoming. The courtyard was also expanded, opening it up to the south lawn of the campus center.
Facilities of The Claremont Colleges
The Libraries of The Claremont Colleges
The Libraries of The Claremont Colleges constitute a centralized library group that serve the five undergraduate colleges and the two graduate institutions. Librarians work with faculty to develop the libraries’ collections and to facilitate effective use of those collections by both faculty and students. The libraries’ resources include more than two million volumes; access to articles in over 50,000 journals; hundreds of databases providing ready access to a variety of bibliographic, full-text and multimedia information; and media such as DVDs and CDs. The Claremont Colleges Digital Library provides access to a growing number of digital collections from the colleges as well as from the libraries’ Special Collections. The library catalog (Blais) and other online resources are available from the libraries’ Website: libraries.claremont.edu.
Established in 1969 with a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Early W. Huntley, Huntley Bookstore provides essential services to students, faculty and staff of The Claremont Colleges. As the source for all course-required textbooks and support materials used at the colleges, the bookstore carries many academic trade and reference titles, new releases, bestsellers, academic study aids, school and office supplies, clothing and gift items, as well as magazines, snacks and soft drinks. Huntley Computer Sales provides both Apple and PC hardware and software at academic pricing, as well as a complete selection of computer supplies and peripherals.
Huntley is open year round with a variety of additional services, including copyright clearance, course pack production, special order services and mail order services. Or visit Huntley’s full-service Website where textbooks, clothing and gift merchandise are sold at: www.claremont.bkstr.com.
Located at 175 E. 8th Street, store hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summer hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The bookstore phone number is (909) 607-1502.
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
The Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is a privately-endowed and independently-operated institution, affiliated with The Claremont Colleges. The garden houses Claremont Graduate University’s master of science and doctoral programs in botany and is dedicated to the preservation of native Californian flora and to research and teaching in the fields of plant systematics, evolutionary biology, conservation biology and environmental horticulture. The garden was established by Susanna Bixby Bryant, the first woman to serve on Pomona’s Board of Trustees. Part of Pomona College’s botanical library is housed at the garden. Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is well known for its unique, living collection of California native plants and its beautifully landscaped 86 acres are open to visitors throughout the year.
Bernard Biological Field Station
The Robert J. Bernard Biological Field Station, within a short walking distance of the campus, provides a laboratory for ecological observation and experiments by students and faculty in a number of academic disciplines at The Claremont Colleges. It contains units of coastal sage scrub, oak woodland and grassland, as well as parcels in various stages of ecological succession. Aquatic studies can be made on a lake-marsh ecosystem and on several seasonal ponds. The station is named in honor of Robert J. Bernard ’17, a former president of the Claremont University Consortium.
Student Health and Counseling Services
Student health and counseling services consists of programs at Student Health Services (SHS), Monsour Counseling and Psychological Service (MCAPS) and Health Education Outreach (HEO). These services are located at 757 College Way on the first floor of the Robert E. Tranquada Student Services Center in front of Honnold Library. Physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses are available at SHS for consultation and treatment of most outpatient health care needs. The MCAPS, named in memory of Karem J. Monsour who served as director from 1967 to 1980, offers brief individual therapy, psychiatric evaluation and medication, group therapy, referrals to other mental health resources and workshops to help students with personal concerns. HEO provides educational services, resources and programs that enable students to play an active role in achieving, protecting and sustaining personal and community health and wellness.